Candidates Tournament Postponed (Again)?
Finally, one of the players has said that enough is enough! It is widely reported on the internet today that Chinese superstar Wang Hao has told FIDE that he will not travel to Yekaterinburg for the 2nd-half of the Candidates Tournament that is to begin later this month.
Readers will recall that the Candidates Tournament was suspended on March 26 because of the coronavirus.
This was a controversial decision, but not nearly as controversial as the orginal decision to go ahead with the tournament at a time when virtually the entire sporting world had cancelled all events because a pandemic had been declared.
The coronavirus situation today (October 5) is even worse in many ways than March.
This is an ongoing issue and I will keep the readers updated as more information becomes available. In the meantime, here are some bits and pieces that I gleaned from the net:
Below is some of the correspondence of Wang Hao with FIDE President Dvorkovich. Originally published on Hao’s FB page, and later on the Russian news site Chess-News.ru